Monday, September 16, 2013

hawthorn and pine bonsai

I went through these trees on Sunday, removed some wire and added some more. I cleared the weeds a bit and gave them a bit of chicken manure. The whitethorns have been a bit disappointing this year; they haven't grown much. It was such a dry year that I was playing catch-up on the watering a lot and didn't really liquid feed them very well. I'm struggling to see clearly where they are going shapewise. The second below I would like to be a windswept shape, the third a 'fairybush' shape and the first I'm very unsure. Maybe a more concentrated effort next year will help, I think I'll have to improve my irrigation regime...




I'm more pleased with the pines. I think I might be stumbling in the right direction regarding needle growth and bud development etc, thanks to some Ryan Neil youtube videos courtesy of Bonsai Eejit & Co. I have about 6 or 7 other pines waiting in the wings that could make nice trees if I knew what I was doing.



No comments:

Post a Comment